Last night’s episode of “Lost” was entitled “What They Died For” and it was supposed to be the big set up for the series finale on Sunday. Before the show aired it seemed as if some truths were going to be revealed and we would be left with a huge cliffhanger leading us into “The End.” But instead of an entertaining hour of twists and turns I received confirmation of theories I had from months ago. No real surprises here…
- Director: Jack Bender
- Writers/Creator:Edward Kitsis, Adam Horowitz, Elizabeth Sarnoff, Damon Lindelof, Jeffrey Lieber, J.J. Abrams
- Cast: Naveen Andrews, Matthew Fox, Evangeline Lilly, Josh Holloway, Jorge Garcia, Daniel Dae Kim, Terry O’Quinn, Nestor Carbonell, Michael Emerson, Yunjin Kim, Jeff Fahey, Emilie de Ravin, Mark Pelligrino, Alan Dale, Mira Furlan, Sheila Kelley, Tania Raymonde, Michelle Rodriguez, Dylan Minnette
The Show’s Plot:
“Lost” centers on the survivors of the ill fated Oceanic Flight 815 who crashed on a mysterious island. They fight the elements, the island’s mysteries, and each other while trying to survive in uncharted territory.
Title of this Week’s Episode: “What They Died For” Season 6: Episode 16
Jacob reveals himself to the rest of the castaways and finds a successor to protect the island. Pseudo-Locke joins forces with Ben to destroy Charles Widmore and tries to find Desmond before the others do. In the alternate timeline, Desmond arranges for the escape of Kate and Sayid, with Hurley and Ana Lucia’s help.
- Family Affair: The only good thing about this episode were the parts where we got to see all the families together. Jack, Claire, and his son along with Ben, Danielle, and Alex. It was also nice to see Danielle clean and dressed up for once and was it just us or was she flirting with Ben?
- The Concert: We were left with the set up that something big was about to go down at the concert where Jack’s son will be playing. We also heard that his mother would be attending. I wonder if Julie Bowen will return to play his mom/Jack’s ex-wife or will it be someone else?
- Jacob’s Plan: There was nothing that Jacob said in his speech to Jack, Kate, Sawyer, and Hurley that we couldn’t have picked up on ourselves. I think the only thing he really clarified was why Kate’s name was crossed out (her being a mother and all).
- Pseudo-Locke’s Plan: The Man in Black wants to destroy the island? At first he wanted to leave and now he’s hell bent on blowing the whole thing up? Is this just a way for the writers to make sense of Desmond and his electromagnetic superpowers?
- Jack Taking Jacob’s Place: Jack has always taken the leadership role among the castaways and we’re supposed to be shocked that he’s the one taking Jacob’s place? It would have been great if they decided to throw the past to the wind and give it to someone else. If it was going to be him all along what was the point of the other 3 people sitting there waiting in the wings?
- Richard’s Death: So Richard got taken out by the Smoke Monster quick, fast, and in a hurry. These past few deaths are starting to feel rushed and aren’t really satisfying.
- Loose Ends: Where’s Miles? Is Sayid really dead? What about Frank? I understand the series finale will be over 2 hours long but it feels like a lot of stuff will have to be resolved in a short amount of time.
Last night’s episode was not a worthy build up to the series finale. There was nothing revealed that we didn’t already know or have an idea of. Everything was pretty predictable and if we’re getting this close to the end there should be some jaw-dropping revelations happening and there weren’t any.
Show Airs: Tuesdays at 9pm on ABC
Check Out Our Previous Lost Reviews:
- Lost: Happily Ever After – TV Review
- Lost: Everybody Loves Hugo – TV Review
- Lost: The Last Recruit – TV Review
- Lost: The Candidate – TV Review
- Lost: Across The Sea: TV Review
What did you think of last night’s episode of Lost? Did you pick up on anything I missed?