Looks like Iron Man 2 may not have been able to shatter all the box office records in the world, but it did have one hell of a strong opening and shot past the debut of the first Iron Man, which kicked off with $98.6 million on the same weekend in 2008 – and it didn’t even need 3D to do so, booya! So far, it’s already the 4th highest grossing film of 2010 (and probably the best sans Inception action film of the summer), and if this film is anything like the last, it’s a grow-er not a show-er. The good word of mouth and millions of advertising should keep it in theaters and I would be willing to wager that by end of it’s run, it’s broken some top grossing record.
Check out the first loser and more below…
- Iron Man 2 | New | Par. | Weekend Gross $133,600,000 | Average Per Theater $30,502 | Total Gross $133,600,000 | Film’s Budget $200 | Week 1
- A Nightmare on Elm Street | Last Week 1 | WB | Weekend Gross $9,170,000 | Average Per Theater $2,752 | Total Gross $48,530,000 | Film’s Budget $35 | Week 2
- How to Train Your Dragon | LW 2 | P/DW | Weekend Gross $6,760,000 | Average Per Theater $2,251 | Total Gross $201,093,000 | Film’s Budget $165 | Week 7
- Date Night | LW 3 | Fox | Weekend Gross $5,300,000 | Average Per Theater $1,939 | Total Gross $80,854,000 | Film’s Budget $55 | Week 5
- The Back-Up Plan | LW 4 | CBS | Weekend Gross $4,345,000 | Average Per Theater $1,447 | Total Gross $29,415,000 | Film’s Budget $35 | Week 3
- Furry Vengeance | LW 5 | Sum. | Weekend Gross $4,000,000 | Average Per Theater $1,332 | Total Gross $11,621,000 | Film’s Budget $35 | Week 2
- Clash of the Titans | LW 7 | WB | Weekend Gross $2,305,000 | Average Per Theater $1,069 | Total Gross $157,808,000 | Film’s Budget $125 | Week 6
- Death at a Funeral | LW 9 | SGem | Weekend Gross $2,100,000 | Average Per Theater $1,231 | Total Gross $38,323,000 | Film’s Budget $21 | Week 4
- The Losers | LW 6 | WB | Weekend Gross $1,800,000 | Average Per Theater $735 | Total Gross $21,450,000 | Film’s Budget $25 | Week 3
- Babies | New | Focus | Weekend Gross $1,575,000 | Average Per Theater $2,949 | Total Gross $1,575,000 | Week 1
The only odd thing I can critique is that The Losers is actually a solid, action-packed ride and shouldn’t be dropping off the top ten so fast. Don’t let it live up to its name!
What did you pay to see this weekend?