Who kicked whose ass this weekend? The DreamWorks animated feature How to Train Your Dragon soared back to the number one spot grossing another $20 million dollars leaving newcomers Kick-Ass and Death at a Funeral in the dust. The Matthew Vaughn comic book adaptation came in at number 2 earning over $19 million dollars at the box office. With all of the positive reviews the film has received you’d think it would have done better. Was the marketing not enough or was Hit Girl’s foul mouth and bloody hands too much for general audiences to take? We may never know.
Check out the rest of the numbers…
- How to Train Your Dragon | LW 3 | P/DW | Weekend Gross $20,000,000 | Average Per Theater $5,229 | Total Gross $158,618,000 | Film Budget $165 | Week 4
- Kick-Ass | N | Lionsgate | Weekend Gross $19,750,000 | Average Per Theater $6,444 | Total Gross $19,750,000 | Film Budget $30 | Week 1
- Date Night | LW 2 | Fox | Weekend Gross 17,300,000 | Average Per Theater $5,118 | Total Gross $49,246,000 | Film Budget $55 | Week 2
- Death at a Funeral | N | Fox | Weekend Gross $17,000,000 | Average Per Theater $6,913 | Total Gross $17,000,000 | Film Budget $21 | Week 1
- Clash of the Titans (2010) | Last Week 1 | WB | Weekend Gross $15,770,000 | Average Per Theater $4,202 | Total Gross $132,985,000 | Film Budget $125 | Week 3
- The Last Song | LW 5 | BV | Weekend Gross $5,800,000 | Average Per Theater $2,096 | Total Gross $50,000,000 | Film Budget $20 | Week 3
- Tyler Perry’s Why Did I Get Married Too? | LW 4 | LGF | Weekend Gross $4,180,000 | Average Per Theater $2,249 | Total Gross $54,880,000 | Film Budget $20 | Week 3
- Hot Tub Time Machine | LW 6 | MGM | Weekend Gross $3,545,000 | Average Per Theater $1,536 | Total Gross $42,505,000 | Film Budget $36 | Week 4
- Alice in Wonderland (2010) | LW 7 | BV | Weekend Gross $3,500,000| Average Per Theater $1,729 | Total Gross $324,000,000 | Film Budget $200 | Week 7
- The Bounty Hunter | LW 8 | Sony | Weekend Gross $3,200,000 | Average Per Theater $1,293 | Total Gross $60,378,000| Film Budget $40 | Week 5
Overall, the top 5 films stayed within close range of each other with only one or two million dollars setting them apart. It’s the second half of the chart that takes a huge nosedive. How long do you think Clash of the Titans can stay in the top 5?
What do you think of this weekend’s numbers? What did you pay to see?