Not only did Tim Burton‘s Alice in Wonderland surpass my expectations and cross the $100 dollar domestic line, but it did so with plenty of room to spare. Worldwide, it’s already made back the $200 million they spent, with an extra $10 million to boot. Looks like it’s a good day for Burton and Disney to fuderwhack (little inside joke for all you who have seen the movie).
And although the Oscars basically ignored Avatar last night, it still managed to bring in another $7 million and top itself with yet another record. While newly anointed Academy Award winner Jeff Bridge’s film, Crazy Heart managed to hang in for another week to see Bridges to the award ceremony – let’s see if his win gives the film yet another burst at the box office…
- Alice in Wonderland | New | Disney | Weekend Gross $116,300,000 | Average Per Theater $31,196 | Total Gross $116,300,000 | Cost to Make $200 | Week 1
- Brooklyn’s Finest | New | Over. | Weekend Gross $13,500,000 | Average Per Theater $6,973 | Total Gross $13,500,000 | Cost $25 | Week 1
- Shutter Island | LW 1 | Par. | Weekend Gross $13,300,000 | Average Per Theater $4,185 | Total Gross $95,825,000 | Cost $80 | Week 3
- Cop Out | LW 2 | WB | Weekend Gross $9,145,000 | Average Per Theater $2,903 | Total Gross $32,360,000 | Cost $30 | Week 2
- Avatar | LW 4 | Fox | Weekend Gross $7,700,000 | Average Per Theater $3,560 | Total Gross $720,189,000 | Week 12
- The Crazies | LW 3 | Over. | Weekend Gross $7,016,000 | Average Per Theater $2,830 | Total Gross $27,409,000 | Cost $20 | Week 2
- Percy Jackson & The Olympians: The Lightning Thief | LW 5 | Fox | Weekend Gross $5,100,000 | Average Per Theater $1,703 | Total Gross $78,033,000 | Cost $95 | Week 4
- Valentine’s Day | LW 6 | WB | Weekend Gross $4,270,000 | Average Per Theater $1,405 | Total Gross $106,420,000 | Cost $52 | Week 4
- Crazy Heart | LW 10 | FoxS | Weekend Gross $3,350,000 | Average Per Theater $2,630 | Total Gross $29,569,000 | Cost $7 | Week 12
- Dear John | LW 4 | SGem | Weekend Gross $2,850,000 | Average Per Theater $1,142 | Total Gross $76,694,000 | Cost $25 | Week 5
What do you think of this weeks numbers?