No surprises here, Scorsese and DiCaprio pair up and people will pay to see it. They’d pay $12 to see the two eat dinner. Although Shutter Island was not as “Scorsese” as some people may have expected, it didn’t disappoint and showed that the director still has some new tricks up his sleeve. Sadly, The Ghost Writer, which was almost the same movie, just with Polanksi and Ewan McGregor (another great duo) was only released into four theaters and therefore only made about $200k. Hopefully it will become more available in the coming weeks. Aside from that, Wolfman seems to be flying down the charts faster than an Olympic snowboarder flying down a mountain. Poor Wolfy…
- Shutter Island | New | Par. | Weekend Gross $40,200,000 | Average Per Theater $13,440 | Total Gross $40,200,000 | Production Cost $80 | Week 1
- Valentine’s Day | LW 1 | WB | Weekend Gross $17,160,000 | Average Per Theater $4,682 | Total Gross $87,422,000 | Production Cost $52 | Week 2
- Avatar | LW 4 | Fox | Weekend Gross $16,100,000 | Average Per Theater $6,238 | Total Gross $687,821,000 | Week 10
- Percy Jackson & The Olympians: The Lightning Thief | LW 3 | Fox | Weekend Gross $15,300,000 | Average Per Theater $4,505 | Total Gross $58,760,000 | Production Cost $95 | Week 2
- The Wolfman | LW 2 | Uni. | Weekend Gross $9,846,000 | Average Per Theater $3,055 | Total Gross $50,315,000 | Production Cost $150 | Week 2
- Dear John | LW 5 | SGem | Weekend Gross $7,300,000 | Average Per Theater $2,384 | Total Gross $65,971,000 | Production Cost $25 | Week 3
- Tooth Fairy | LW 6 | Fox | Weekend Gross $4,500,000 | Average Per Theater $1,784 | Total Gross $49,867,000 | Production Cost $48 | Week 5
- Crazy Heart | LW 9 | FoxS | Weekend Gross $3,025,000 | Average Per Theater $2,778 | Total Gross $21,585,000 | Production Cost $7 | Week 10
- From Paris with Love | LW 7 | LGF | Weekend Gross $2,500,000 | Average Per Theater $1,082 | Total Gross $21,200,000 | Production Cost $52 | Week 3
- Edge of Darkness | LW 8 | WB | Weekend Gross $2,210,000 | Average Per Theater $1,043 | Total Gross $40,314,000 | Production Cost $80 | Week 4
There are a number of films that I’m guessing didn’t do as well as studios had hoped for, From Paris with Love and Edge of Darkness still have a ways to go domestically before they make back there money and Tooth Fairy has only recouped in it’s fifth week.
Luckily Crazy Heart has been perusing the charts for ten weeks now! It’s great to see quality hanging around.
What do you think of this weekends numbers?