It’s official, people are so obsessed with “Valentine’s Day” that they’ll buy cheap chocolate for a loved one that’s marked up %600 and they’ll go and see ANY movie with the title just because… IT’S VALENTINE’S DAY!!! It’s great that people want a day to celebrate their love, all I ask is that you eat some quality candy and watch a good movie! There are plenty of heart wrenchingly amazing romantic films out there, go for a classic! And if you like the 10 stories at once style, you really can’t get better than Love Actually – it may have a Christmas theme, but it’s really the best of its genre.
Not surprisingly, all the last minute hype for The Wolfman couldn’t save it from itself. Not only did Valentine’s Day nearly double what it brought in, but Percy Jackson & The Olympians: The Lightning Thief the film with a tenth of the advertising campaign beat it out on the list. Poor Wolfy, maybe they’ll like him better overseas…
- Valentine’s Day | New | WB | Weekend Gross $52,410,000 | Average Per Theater $14,300 | Total Gross $52,410,000 | Production Cost $52 | Week 1
- Percy Jackson & The Olympians: The Lightning Thief | New | Fox | Weekend Gross $31,100,000 | Average Per Theater $9,267 | Total Gross $31,100,000 | Production Cost $95 | Week 1
- The Wolfman | New | Uni. | Weekend Gross $30,627,000 | Average Per Theater $9,506 | Total Gross $30,627,000 | Production Cost $150 | Week 1
- Avatar | LW 2 | Fox | Weekend Gross $22,000,000 | Average Per Theater $8,194 | Total Gross $659,605,000 | Week 9
- Dear John | LW 1 | SGem | Weekend Gross $15,300,000 | Average Per Theater $5,143 | Total Gross $53,178,000 | Production Cost $25 | Week 2
- Tooth Fairy | LW 5 | Fox | Weekend Gross $5,600,000 | Average Per Theater $2,038 | Total Gross $41,528,000 | Production Cost $48 | Week 4
- From Paris with Love | LW 3 | LGF | Weekend Gross $4,740,000 | Average Per Theater $1,741 | Total Gross $15,850,000 | Production Cost $52 | Week 2
- Edge of Darkness | LW 4 | WB | Weekend Gross $4,585,000 | Average Per Theater $1,753 | Total Gross $36,069,000 | Production Cost $80 | Week 3
- Crazy Heart | LW 8 | FoxS | Weekend Gross $4,000,000 | Average Per Theater $3,980 | Total Gross $16,526,000 | Production Cost $7 | Week 9
- When in Rome | LW 6 | BV | Weekend Gross $3,429,000 | Average Per Theater $1,614 | Total Gross $26,027,000 | Week 3
All the other films seem to have simply moved down the line from last week. The only one that looks like it’s here to stay through Oscar season is Crazy Heart – which would have also made for a fun Valentine’s Day pick.
What do you think of this weekends numbers? Where you expecting Wolfman to do better?