Although it brings a tear (of joy) to my eye to see the box office king, Avatar be beaten by a chick-flick… I wish it was by something a bit more substantial. Sadly it had it’s ass whooped by Dear John, the not as great remake to The Notebook aka a sappy romance for 13 year-olds (why do all the adolescents get the love stories nowadays?).
Despite all of Lion’s Gates best efforts, From Paris with Love only managed to come in at #3 and make back about 15% on what they cost to make it… ouch. Apparently people don’t want to see John Travolta as another crazy terrorist with a shaved head.
- Dear John | New | SGem | Weekend Gross $32,400,000 | Average Per Theater $10,913 | Total Gross $32,400,000 | Cost $25 | Week 1
- Avatar | LW 1 | Fox | Weekend Gross $23,600,000 | Average Per Theater $7,867 | Total Gross $630,093,000 | Week 8
- From Paris with Love | New | LGF | Weekend Gross $8,120,000 | Average Per Theater $2,983 | Total Gross $8,120,000 | Cost $52 | Week 1
- Edge of Darkness | LW 2 | WB | Weekend Gross $7,005,000 | Average Per Theater $2,285 | Total Gross $29,097,000 | Cost $80 | Week 2
- Tooth Fairy | LW 4 | Fox | Weekend Gross $6,500,000 | Average Per Theater $2,020 | Total Gross $34,333,000 | Cost $48 | Week 3
- When in Rome | LW 3 | BV | Weekend Gross $5,504,000 | Average Per Theater $2,241 | Total Gross $20,899,000 | Week 2
- The Book of Eli | LW 5 | WB | Weekend Gross $4,835,000 | Average Per Theater $1,715 | Total Gross $82,163,000 | Cost $80 | Week 4
- Crazy Heart | LW 8 | FoxS | Weekend Gross $3,650,000 | Average Per Theater $4,457 | Total Gross $11,188,000 | Cost $7 | Week 8
- Legion | LW 6 | SGem | Weekend Gross $3,400,000 | Average Per Theater $1,454 | Total Gross $34,678,000 | Cost $26 | Week 3
- Sherlock Holmes | LW 8 | WB | Weekend Gross $2,630,000 | Average Per Theater $1,457 | Total Gross $201,579,000 | Cost $90 | Week 7
What can we predict for next week? When in Rome will have a resurgence and Dear John will continue it’s reign despite what anyone says about it because it’s…sigh… Valentine’s Day and people want to cry at something.