Avatar is a box office monster. We thought The Hughes Brothers and Denzel Washington’s The Book of Eli had a chance of taking it down but we were wrong. The movie debuted at number two beneath Avatar‘s return to the number one spot. For the fifth straight week James Cameron‘s latest film has raked in the dough, bringing in over 41 million dollars, making its grand total $491,767,000 domestic.
Eli Came in number two with over 31 million dollars, which would be a decent amount if it wasn’t hiding in the shadow of Avatar, and number three was Peter Jackson‘s The Lovely Bones, which opened in wide release with over 17 million dollars. The movie hasn’t received the best reviews so we we’re surprised it earned that much. The other new entry was Jackie Chan‘s The Spy Next Door, that debuted at number 6 with almost ten million dollars. Promotion for the film was pretty stealth, which may have led to its low numbers. That and the fact that the plot looked horrible. Here are all the numbers for the official play by play…
- Avatar | LW 1 | Fox | Weekend US Gross $41,300,000 | Average Per Theater $12,572 | Total US Gross $491,767,000 | Week 5
- The Book of Eli| New | WB | Weekend US Gross $31,615,000 | Average Per Theater $10,162 | Total US Gross $31,615,000 |Production Budget $80 |Week 1
- The Lovely Bones | P/DW| Weekend US Gross $17,060,000 | Average Per Theater $6,656 | Total US Gross $17,527,000 |Production Budget $100 |Week 6
- Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel | LW 3 | Fox | Weekend US Gross $11,500,000 | Average Per Theater $3,489 | Total US Gross $192,592,000 | Production Budget $75 | Week 4
- Sherlock Holmes | LW 2 | WB | Weekend US Gross $9,825,000 | Average Per Theater $3,096 | Total US Gross $180,018,000 | Production Budget $90 | Week 4
- The Spy Next Door | New | LGF | Weekend US Gross $9,700,000 | Average Per Theater $3,317 | Total US Gross $9,700,000|Week 1
- It’s Complicated | LW 5 | Uni. | Weekend US Gross $7,672,000 | Average Per Theater $2,873 | Total US Gross $88,224,000 | Production Budget $85 | Week 4
- Leap Year | LW 6|Uni. | Weekend US Gross $5,828,000 | Average Per Theater $2,320 | Total US Gross $17,529,000 | Production Budget $19 | Week 2
- The Blind Side | LW 7 | WB | Weekend US Gross $5,565,000 | Average Per Theater $2,311 | Total US Gross $226,774,000 | Production Budget $29 | Week 9
- Up in the Air | LW 8 | Par. | Weekend US Gross $5,460,000 | Average Per Theater $2,591 | Total US Gross $62,833,000 | Production Budget $25 | Week 7
What conclusion can we draw from this week’s earnings? It will take a miracle or another major blockbuster to take down Avatar and I don’t think next week’s Legion is going to be up for the challenge. Something tells me we’ll be in this same situation with next week’s numbers. Until then stay tuned…
What did you go see last weekend?