It’s kind of freaky… the first numbers of the new year look almost exactly the same as the numbers from the last weekend of 2009. I guess the exact same people are going to the movies week after week. The only swap was between Did You Hear About the Morgans? and Nine… sadly Nine lost.
I know there were no new releases but it’s still odd to see. Apparently Mr. Cameron knew the perfect time to release his film. No new competition for a few weeks and he still will be up for an Oscar in 2010. Well played sir, well played.
Check out the numbers below…
- Avatar | Fox | LW 1 | Weekend Gross $68,300,000 | Average Per Theater $19,734 | Total Gross $352,111,000 | Week 3
- Sherlock Holmes | WB | LW 2 | Weekend Gross $38,385,000 | Average Per Theater $10,586 | Total Gross $140,675,000 | Week 2
- Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel | Fox | LW 3 | Weekend Gross $36,600,000 | Average Per Theater $9,768 | Total Gross $157,345,000 | Week 2
- It’s Complicated | Uni. | LW 4 | Weekend Gross $18,700,000 | Average Per Theater $6,455 | Total Gross $59,105,000 | Week 2
- The Blind Side | WB | LW 5 | Weekend Gross $12,650,000 | Average Per Theater $4,323 | Total Gross $209,052,000 | Production Cost $29 | Week 7
- Up in the Air | Par. | LW 6 | Weekend Gross $11,350,000 | Average Per Theater $5,989 | Total Gross $45,020,000 | Production Cost $25 | Week 5
- The Princess and the Frog | BV | LW 7 | Weekend Gross $10,013,000 | Average Per Theater $3,009 | Total Gross $86,085,000 | Production Cost $105 | Week 6
- Did You Hear About the Morgans? | Sony | LW 9 | Weekend Gross $5,200,000 | Average Per Theater $1,913 | Total Gross $25,620,000 | Production Cost $58 | Week 3
- Nine | Wein. | LW 8 | Weekend Gross $4,250,000 | Average Per Theater $3,010 | Total Gross $14,047,000 | Production Cost $80 | Week 3
- Invictus | WB | LW 10 | Weekend Gross $4,130,000 | Average Per Theater $1,903 | Total Gross $30,755,000 | Production Cost $60 | Week 4
What do you think of this past weekends numbers? What did you pay to see?