Everyone at 20th Century Fox were shaking in their boots last weekend, when James Cameron‘s Avatar finally hit theaters. After a long and tumultuous wait, the 3-D epic was released to the general public and debuted at number 1. The film grossed 73 million dollars domestically and another 159 million overseas bringing its grand total to 232 million worldwide. The sci-fi feature bumped Disney’s The Princess and the Frog down a peg to number 2, which brought in another 12 million dollars.
Somehow, someway Sandra Bullock‘s latest film, The Blind Side continues to stay in the top three. It snagged the third spot this week, with a little over 10 million dollars in ticket sales, bringing its domestic gross to 164 million dollars. The budget for the film was only 29 million, so you know Warner Bros is rolling in dough.
Here are the box office numbers from this past weekend…
- Avatar | New | Fox | Weekend Gross $73,000,000 | Average Per Theater $21,147 | Total Gross $73,000,000 |Week 1
- The Princess and the Frog | LW 1 | BV | Weekend Gross $12,224,000 | Average Per Theater $3,518 | Total Gross $44,756,000| Production Budget $105 | Week 2
- The Blind Side | LW 2| WB| Weekend Gross $10,030,000 | Average Per Theater $2,944 | Total Gross $164, 734,000 | Production Budget $29 | Week 5
- Did You Hear About the Morgans? | New| Sony | Weekend Gross $7,000,000 | Average Per Theater $2,575 | Total Gross $7,000,000 | Production Budget $50 | Week 1
- The Twilight Saga: New Moon| LW 4 | Sum | Weekend Gross $4,370,000 | Average Per Theater $1,440 | Total Gross $274,561,000 | Production Budget $50 | Week 5
- Invictus | LW 3 | WB |Weekend Gross $4,170,000 | Average Per Theater $1,962 | Total Gross$15,845,000 | Production Budget $60 | Week 2
- A Christmas Carol (2009) | LW 5| BV| Weekend Gross $3,419,000 | Average Per Theater $1,652 | Total Gross $130,789,000 | Production Budget $200 | Week 7
- Up in the Air | LW 11 | Par | Weekend Gross $3,100,000 | Average Per Theater $17,714 | Total Gross $8,106,000 | Production Budget $25 | Week 3
- Brothers | LW 6 | LGF| Weekend Gross $2,630,000 | Average Per Theater $1,309 | Total Gross $22,091,000 | Production Budget $26 | Week 3
- Old Dogs | LW 7 | BV | Weekend Gross $2,289,000 | Average Per Theater $870 | Total Gross $43,574,000 | Production Budget $35 | Week 4
As you can see, the other new entry of the week Did You Hear About the Morgans came in at number 4 with 7 million dollars, which is about 5 million more than I thought it would make. While Jason Reitman‘s Up in the Air finally jumped up a few spots from 11 to 8, taking in another 3 million. The numbers for the flick should undoubtedly change after the holiday weekend, when it expands into wide release on Christmas Day.
What film did you pay to see this past weekend?