After months of anticipation, The Twilight Saga: New Moon debuted in theaters this past weekend, and put the competition to shame. The vampire flick became the third largest weekend opener of all time thanks to its 3 day total of over 140 million dollars. With those types of numbers, you’d think any other box office debut would fall on deaf ears, but that wasn’t the case. The Sandra Bullock drama The Blind Side came in with a decent 34 million to earn its spot at number two, while 2012 was third with 26 million.
As for the animated feature Planet 51, its numbers were less than impressive causing it to come in at number 4 on the box office chart. Perhaps it will gain some viewers over the holiday?
Check out the numbers below…
- The Twilight Saga: New Moon (2009) | New | Sum| Weekend Gross $140,700,000 | Average Per Theater $34,965 | Total Gross $140,700,000 |Week 1
- The Blind Side |New|WB| Weekend Gross $34,510,000 | Average Per Theater $11,096| Total Gross $34,510,000 | Week 1
- 2012 | LW 1| Sony| Weekend Gross $26,500,000 | Average Per Theater $7,776 | Total Gross $108,221,000 | Production Cost $200 | Week 2
- Planet 51 |New| Sony| Weekend Gross $12,600,000 | Average Per Theater $4,152 | Total Gross $12,600,000 | Week 1
- A Christmas Carol | LW 2 | BV | Weekend Gross $12,230,000| Average Per Theater $3,418| Total Gross $79,791,000 | Production Cost $200 | Week 3
- Precious LW 3|LGF | Weekend Gross $11,008,000 | Average Per Theater $17,501 | Total Gross $21,403,000 | Production Cost $10 | Week 3
- The Men Who Stare At Goats | LW 4 | Over.| Weekend Gross $2,773,000 | Average Per Theater $1,349 | Total Gross $27,624,000 | Production Cost $25 | Week 3
- Couples Retreat | LW 7 | Uni | Weekend Gross $1,952,000 | Average Per Theater $1,140 | Total Gross $105,001,000 | Production Cost $70 | Week 7
- The Fourth Kind| LW 6 | Uni| Weekend Gross $1,730,000 | Average Per Theater $1,050 | Total Gross $ 23,343,000 | Production Cost $ | Week 3
- Law Abiding Citizen | LW 9 |Over | Weekend Gross $1,615,000 | Average Per Theater $1,217 | Total Gross $70,027,000 | Production Cost $50 | Week 6
What did you pay to see this past weekend?