Apparently Robert Zemeckis knew what he was doing! He knew that using motion-capture, 3-D IMAX, would give A Christmas Carol enough of a new twist that people would be willing to pay to see it. That being said, it’s got a long way to go before it makes back the $200 million it cost to shoot. Worth it? I’m not sure…. Only time and the Holidays will tell.
Good news on the indie film front, Grant Heslov‘s film, The Men Who Stare at Goats has managed to rake in some big numbers for it’s opening weekend in theaters.
Check out this weekends numbers below…
- A Christmas Carol (2009) | New | BV | Weekend Gross $31,000,000 | Average Per Theater $8,417 | Total Gross $31,000,000 | Production Cost $200 | Week 1
- Michael Jackson’s This Is It | LW 1 | Sony | Weekend Gross $14,000,0000 | Average Per Theater $4,022 | Total Gross $57,855,000 | Week 2
- The Men Who Stare at Goats | New | Over. | Weekend Gross $13,309,0000 | Average Per Theater $5,448 | Total Gross $13,309,000 | Production Cost $25 | Week 1
- The Fourth Kind | New | Uni | Weekend Gross $12,521,0000 | Average Per Theater $4,955 | Total Gross $12,521,000 | Week 1
- Paranormal Activity | LW 2 | Par. | Weekend Gross $8,600,0000 | Average Per Theater $3,362 | Total Gross $97,430,000 | Production Cost $0.015 | Week 7
- The Box | New | WB | Weekend Gross $7,855,000 | Average Per Theater $2,981 | Total Gross $7,855,000 | Production Cost $25 | Week 1
- Couples Retreat | LW 4 | Uni | Weekend Gross $6,428,000 | Average Per Theater $2,250 | Total Gross $95,980,000 | Production Cost $70 | Week 5
- Law Abiding Citizen | LW 3 | Over | Weekend Gross $6,172,000 | Average Per Theater $2,495 | Total Gross $60,873,000 | Production Cost $50 | Week 4
- Where the Wild Things Are | LW 5 | WB | Weekend Gross $4,225,000 | Average Per Theater $1,533 | Total Gross $69,268,000 | Production Cost $100 | Week 4
- Astro Boy | LW 7 | Sum | Weekend Gross $2,588,000 | Average Per Theater $1,349 | Total Gross $15,073,000 | Production Cost $65 | Week 3
What movie did you see this weekend?