We hear all these stories about Angelina Jolie making all the money in the world, but who is actually making the most money back for the studios? Since everyone, including studios, are looking for ways to get the most bang for their buck at the moment, Forbes.com compiled a list of the 10 actresses who cost the least and make the most.
Before you find out the answers below, vote and tell us who you think is the best investment…
Find out if you are right below…
Forbes compiled its list by looking at the 100 biggest stars in Hollywood all of which had starred in at least three movies in the past five years that opened in 500 theaters or more. They also added in the star’s estimated earnings, each movie’s estimated budget, and box office, DVD and television earnings to figure out an operating income for each movie.
Surprise, surprise, the number one box office babe for her work in The Ring, King Kong, and Eastern Promises, is none other than Australian actress Naomi Watts. Out of all the top grossing actors, Watts takes the lead and makes money for studios by a long shot! In second place Jennifer Connelly is somewhat close but no one else comes close. Maybe this is due to her sudden and unexpected rise and good marketing, but it sounds like someone is in need of a raise!
Check out the top ten below…
- Naomi Watts earned the box office $44 for every $1 she was paid
- Jennifer Connelly: $41 for every $1 paid (Blood Diamond, He’s Just Not That Into You)
- Rachel McAdams: $30 for every $1 paid (The Notebook, The Time Traveler’s Wife)
- Natalie Portman: $28 for every $1 paid (Star Wars, The Other Boleyn Girl)
- Meryl Streep: $27 for every $1 paid (Mamma Mia)
- Jennifer Aniston: $26 per for every $1 paid
- The we round off our 7th-10th spot with one massive tie: Halle Berry, Cate Blanchett, Anne Hathaway, and Hilary Swank all made $23 for every dollar they earned. $1 paid
Who else is surprised to see that Angelina Jolie, the box office, Academy Award winning, top grossing actresses champ is missing from this list?
According to Yahoo “They found actresses who commanded the highest prices, like Angelina Jolie who topped Forbes’ list of the best paid actresses after banking $27 million in a year, were outranked by those earning around $5 million and under for a film.”
I’ll be damned… So who is really worth their weight in gold at studios? Something tells me Jolie isn’t going to be out of a job anytime soon, but purely in terms of profit for studios, Watts wins.
What do you think of the numbers?