As we predicted, Chris Miller and Phil Lord‘s new animated comedy with Bill Hader and Anna Faris, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs fell to number one this weekend faster than a pancake could rain from a cloud. Finally! More people went to theaters to see (or rather listen to) Hader in a smart new comedy than to see Megan Fox mostly naked! It’s about time! And it’s also nice to see Hader, one of the best working comedians today, leading the way to box office victory, even if he was animated! Still counts!
Matt Damon and Steven Soderbergh came in a distant second leading off the rest of the new-comers in that looked like a slowish week in theaters. Check out the box office numbers for this weekends movie releases…
- Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs | New | Weekend Gross $30,100,000 | Average Per Theater $9,651 | Total Gross $30,100,000 | Production Budget $100 | Week 1
- The Informant! | New | Weekend Gross $10,545,000 | Average Per Theater $4,210 | Total Gross $10,545,000 | Production Budget $22 | Week 1
- Tyler Perry’s I Can Do Bad All By Myself | LW 1 | Weekend Gross $10,060,000 | Average Per Theater $4,461 | Total Gross $37,932,000 | Week 2
- Love Happens | New | Weekend Gross $8,456,000 | Average Per Theater $4,455 | Total Gross $8,456,000 | Production Budget $18 | Week 1
- Jennifer’s Body | New | Weekend Gross $6,800,000 | Average Per Theater $2,517 | Total Gross $6,800,000 | Production Budget $16 | Week 1
- 9 | LW 2 | $5,458,000 | Average Per Theater $2,650 | Total Gross $22,794,000 | Production Budget $30 | Week 2
- Inglourious Basterds | LW 3 | Weekend Gross $3,603,000 | Average Per Theater $1,430 | Total Gross $109,901,000 | Production Budget $70 | Week 5
- All About Steve | LW 4 | Weekend Gross $3,400,000 | Average Per Theater $1,575 | Total Gross $26,678,000 | Week 3
- Sorority Row | LW 6 | Weekend Gross $2,489,000 | Average Per Theater $961 | Total Gross $8,870,000 | Production Budget $12.5 | Week 2
- The Final Destination | LW 5 | Weekend Gross $2,375,000 | Average Per Theater $1,316 | Total Gross $62,392,000 | Production Budget $40 | Week 4
What do you think about the top ten this past weekend? Do you agree with the order? Which movie did you pay to see?