My One and Only is the quirky adventure based on, the actor, George Hamilton‘s life as a teenager. The film stars Renee Zellweger, Kevin Bacon, Chris Noth, Logan Lerman, and Mark Rendell. The best description of this film is an unusual coming-of-age tale. The characters, played by Renee Zellweger, Logan Lerman, and Mark Rendell, all grow and learn who they really are through an unusual series of events.
The story had a few funny moments, but it could have been a lot better than what it turned out to be. At times, the story was too cliched and act-y to be fully enjoyed.
My One and Only is the story of Ann Devereaux (Renee Zellweger) and her two sons, George (Logan Lerman) and Robbie (Mark Rendell), as they set out on a road trip hoping to start a new life for themselves after Ann catches her husband, Dan (Kevin Bacon) cheating her. The three travel to different cities where Ann attempts find a new husband by rekindling old flames. The task of finding a new husband proves more difficult than initially anticipated; Ann’s suitors are either too aggressive, thieves, borderline rapists, or mentally ill. The three find their trip to be longer than expected, and their lodgings to be a bit more humble than they are used to. All the while, Ann and her two sons begin to learn more about themselves and each other.
- The Two Boys: Two sons, played by Logan Lerman and Mark Rendall, gave solid performances in the movie. Robbie plays the flamboyant, theater kid who loves to dress his mother before she goes on dates. He was one of the funniest character in the entire movie; due to his amazing timing. I think that Logan Lerman should do fairly well in the future.
- The Style: Stylistically, the film was very well done. The costumes and sets were great. Renee Zellweger had some awesome dresses and jewelry.
- David Koechner: He was such a breath of fresh air in a stale movie. Normally, his humor is a little hit or miss, but that was not the case in this film. He was so perfectly cast for this role and I loved him in it. If this movie had more characters with the surprises and little quirks, like his character, it would have been so much better.
- Renee Zellweger: For those of you who are fans of Renee Zellweger, you will probably enjoy her in this movie. For everyone else, she is just as annoying as she is in every other movie. Somehow, she manages to act as she did in Bridget Jones’ Diary for every single movie she does. Her facial expressions and pout have grown from irksome to down right frustrating.
- The Comedy: There were quite a few times when the movie was trying to be funny and it just didn’t work and felt forced. Sadly, the comedy was few and far between.
- The Sappiness: There was one particular scene in the movie that ruined all the redeemable factors for me. I won’t tell you much about it because I don’t want to give away any spoilers, but you will know what it is when you see it. It was so cliched and overly sappy for me. The only thought going through my head was, “Oh no. Really?”
- Time Span: There was no sense of how much time had elapsed throughout the movie. It could have covered the span of a week or a year, and the viewer would have no clue and left me wondering what the hell was going on.
To be completely honest, I didn’t hate the movie but I found it to be another boring, middle of the road film. The idea behind the film had a lot of potential, but it just missed the mark. The funny moments weren’t that funny and the dramatic parts weren’t very touching. It was difficult to become emotionally invested in the characters. This story is supposed to be about a family that bonds and learns more about each other, but you really don’t see it until the last 10 minutes of the film. This movie is the type of movie that you watch on T.V. late at night when there is nothing else to watch. It passes the time well, but is nothing great.
My One and Only will be released on August 21
Watch the trailer below…