It’s the day after the news broke on the passing of writer-director John Hughes and both fans and those who knew him best are still expressing their sadness over the loss.
With all the tributes pouring in there is a sudden blast of attention on his movies. Not that “Sixteen Candles” has somehow slipped off the cultural radar (never!), but wrapped up in the countless praise are, of course, Hughes’ iconic films of the 1980s – movies that defined a generation.
So as we all look back on The Breakfast Club, Ferris Bueller’s Day Off and Weird Science, among others, no doubt the actors and music associated with those films are vivid in our minds. But along with Judd Nelson, Molly Ringwald and Kelly LeBrock flashing across our eyes, fans of Hughes are most likely dipping into their personal catalog of favorite John Hughes movie quotes.
BeatCrave has happily assembled a mere appetizer of memorable, John Hughes movie quotes below. Check them out and maybe add some favorites of your own.
The Breakfast Club
- “I wanna be just like you. I figure all I need is a lobotomy and some tights.”
- “The next time I have to come in here, I’m crackin’ skulls!”
- “Hey, how come Andrew gets to get up? If he gets up, we’ll all get up, it’ll be anarchy.”
- “Face it. You’re a neo maxi zoom dweebie, what would you be doing if you weren’t out making yourself a better citizen?”
Pretty in Pink
- “His name is Blane? Oh! That’s a major appliance, that’s not a name!”
- “You said you couldn’t be with someone who didn’t believe in you. Well I believed in you. I just didn’t believe in myself. I love you. Always.”
Ferris Bueller’s Day Off
- “Pardon my French, but Cameron is so tight that if you stuck a lump of coal up his ass, in two weeks you’d have a diamond.”
- “Not that I condone fascism, or any ‘ism’ for that matter. Ism’s in my opinion are not good. A person should not believe in an ism, he should believe in himself. I quote John Lennon: ‘I don’t believe in Beatles, I just believe in me.’ Good point there. After all, he was the walrus. I could be the walrus, I’d still have to bum rides off of people. “
- “By night’s end, I predict me and her will interface.”
- “I loathe the bus. There has to be a more dignified mode of transportation.”
- “Relax, would you? We have seventy dollars and a pair of girls underpants. We’re safe as kittens.”
- “I don’t know why they call this stuff hamburger helper. It does just fine by itself, huh?”
- “I think you’re all fucked in the head. We’re ten hours from the fucking fun park and you want to bail out. Well I’ll tell you something. This is no longer a vacation. It’s a quest. It’s a quest for fun. I’m gonna have fun and you’re gonna have fun. We’re all gonna have so much fucking fun we’ll need plastic surgeory to remove our god damn smiles. You’ll be whistling ‘Zip-A-Dee Doo-Dah’ out of you’re assholes! I gotta be crazy! I’m on a pilgrimage to see a moose. Praise Marty Moose! Holy Shit!”
What are some of your favorite John Hughes movie quotes?