A few minutes ago we saw the first ever clips from Iron Man 2 at Comic-Con (check out the Iron Man live blog). NO we do not have any footage of the clips, that would be completely illegal. We will describe the scene below and have videos and photos from the panel coming up soon. Until then, this is what they showed…
The six scenes:
- Scene 1: First we saw montage showing that it starts where it ends and a bunch of quick clips of all the stars of the film.
- Scene 2: Samuel L. Jackson visits Robert Downey Jr. at the Donut Hole for coffee. Tony Stark tells Agent Fury that he doesn’t want to join his superhero boyband (The Avengers), and that he likes working alone. Fury sarcastically asks him, “So, how’s that working out for you?” It looks as if living in the limelight as both a billionaire playboy and a superhero is causing some internal issues with Tony. A lot of fans have been speculating that this film may reference the “Demon in a Bottle.” story arc in the Iron Man comics.
- Scene 3: Is a court scene where we get to see Robert Downey Jr. as Tony Stark in full insult/sarcastic force, fighting for the rights of Iron Man with Gwyneth Paltrow in the background. Garry Shandling stars as Senator Stern and wants Tony to turn over his Iron Man suit because it’s considered as a massive weapon of government interest. Stark rebuffs Sterns demands and states that he is the suit, the suit is Iron Man, and he doesn’t plan to turn over either.
- Scene 4: We get introduced to the bad-guys: Mickey Rourke, Sam Rockwell, and Scarlett Johansson. Rourke flashes across the screen in what appears to be a hardcore prison where he is working on his own version of the Iron Man suit. He has pictures of Tony plastered all across his wall. The next thing you know Tony’s on the ground at a race track with Whiplash coming at him full force with whips charged by some serious electricity! Black Widow is just shown in a few shots rubbing against Tony on a dance floor, and fighting some guys in a bright hallway.
- Scene 5: Rockwell appears as Justin Hammer and is playing it cool, calm and collected with a resistant James Rhodes (Don Cheadle). He whips out an arsenal of various weapons and wants Rhodes to give him a definitive answer as to which one he wants to buy. Rhodes replies by saying, “All of them.”
- Scene 6: War Machine makes his debut and blows some shit up with his newly purchased guns.
Out of the seven minutes or so of footage we were shown, a few questions have risen. For some odd reason none of the female characters speak during the thing! Is Favreau trying to tell us something? All the male characters have full on monologues while Johansson and Paltrow just sit there silently with their faces being flashed across the screen. I wonder if that has anything to do with Scarlett’s “Russian” accent. I wonder if she even does it in the film, or perhaps she does and it’s really bad. Remember the switcheroo Halle Berry gave in X-Men versus X2? Talk about here today gone tomorrow.
I personally think this sequel will be a lot better than I expected. Filming just finished wrapping last week, and the special effects in the footage looks pretty sharp! Some of my favorite parts would have to include Sam Rockwell and Mickey Rourke. Sam is playing Justin Hammer in such a slick way that I don’t think any other actor could have pulled off. The footage looks amazing and I think you guys are going to be blown away!
Are you looking forward to the Iron Man 2 footage?