Surprise, surprise, the Transformers sequel came in at number one… and not just number one of the weekend, but number one of all time. The film made a measly $201 million over the weekend in the US, but include international sales, starting from 12:01am Wednesday morning, the film grossed a disgusting $387 million worldwide. It all just makes me sick.
Check out this past weekends (US) numbers below…
- Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen | New | Weekend Gross $112,000,000 | Average Per Theater $26,453 | Total Gross $201,246,000 | Production Cost $200 | Week 1
- The Proposal | LW 1 | Weekend Gross $18,466,000 | Average Per Theater $6,039 | Total Gross $69,050,000 | Production Cost $40 | Week 2
- The Hangover | LW 2 | Weekend Gross $17,215,000 | Average Per Theater $4,884 | Total Gross $183,247,000 | Production Cost $35 | Week 4
- Up | LW 3 | Weekend Gross $13,046,000 | Average Per Theater $3,741 | Total Gross $250,218,000 | Production Cost $175 | Week 5
- My Sister’s Keeper | New | Weekend Gross $12,030,000 | Average Per Theater $4,616 | Total Gross $12,030,000 | Week 1
- Year One | LW 4 | Weekend Gross $5,800,000 | Average Per Theater $1,918 | Total Gross $32,207,000 | Production Cost $60 | Week 2
- The Taking of Pelham 1 2 3 | LW 5 | Weekend Gross $5,400,000 | Average Per Theater $1,803 | Total Gross $53,406,000 | Production Cost $100 | Week 3
- Star Trek | LW 7 | Weekend Gross $3,606,000 | Average Per Theater $1,978 | Total Gross $246,225,000 | Production Cost $150 | Week 8
- Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian | LW 6 | Weekend Gross $3,500,000 | Average Per Theater $1,556 | Total Gross $163,248,000 | Production Cost $150 | Week 6
- Away We Go | LW 13 | Weekend Gross $1,678,000 | Average Per Theater $3,390 | Total Gross $4,056,000 | Production Cost $17 | Week 4
What I’m interested to see is how long Transformers can hold onto it’s lead. Unlike The Dark Knight, this film has not been getting great reviews and more the the point, it sucks. I have yet to hear one person of any age or gender say that they liked it. I hope that Star Trek and/or Up can somehow find a way to stay on the charts longer than Transformers, proving that quality tops meaningless bullshit.
On a positive note, Away We Go has officially made it on the charts! Let’s see if it can claw it’s way closer to the top!
What do you think of this weekends numbers?