But before I go off on that, let’s look at the numbers…
- Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian | New | Weekend Gross $53,500,000 | Average Per Theater $13,062 | Total Gross $53,500,000 | Production Cost $150 | Week 1
- Terminator: Salvation | New | Weekend Gross $43,010,000 | Average Per Theater $12,184 $56,382,000 | Production Cost $200 | Week 1
- Star Trek | LW 2 | Weekend Gross $22,783,000 | Average Per Theater $5,621 | Total Gross $184,417,000| Week 3
- Angels & Demons | LW 1 | Weekend Gross $21,800,000 | Average Per Theater $6,181 | Total Gross $81,911,000 | Production Cost $150 | Week 2
- Dance Flick | New | Weekend Gross $10,734,000 | Average Per Theater $4,381 | Total Gross $10,734,000 | Production Cost $25 | Week 1
- X-Men Origins: Wolverine | LW 3 | Weekend Gross $7,950,000 | Average Per Theater $2,498 | Total Gross $163,204,000 | Production Cost $150| Week 4
- Ghosts of Girlfriends Past | LW 4 | Weekend Gross $3,810,00 | Average Per Theater $1,690 | Total Gross $45,948,000 | Week 4
- Obsessed | LW 5 | Weekend Gross $1,975,000 | Average Per Theater $1,232 | Total Gross $65,883,000 | Production Cost $20 | Week 5
- Monsters Vs. Aliens | LW 7 | Weekend Gross $1,417,000 | Average Per Theater $988 | Total Gross $193,063,000 | Production Cost $175 | Week 9
- 17 Again | LW 6 | Weekend Gross $1,010,000 | Average Per Theater $912 | Total Gross $60,319,000 | Week 6
Wolverine has soured audience’s appetite for upcoming action flicks. The advertising for Wolverine was so good and the film was so bad, that now people are afraid to walk into theaters which promise the moon and give them a few rocks. People were spoiled with last summer’s The Dark Knight and Iron Man and, therefore, were hopeful when Wolverine rolled around. But, after Wolverine was one big slap in the face to paying customers, people are now more scared to walk into the dark of a theater. And for the few who braved the big screen the following weekend, they were subjected to a kick the balls, also known as Angels and Demons.
So was Terminator good? No. But that’s not the reason for it’s poor numbers. Blame it on Wolverine!
What do you think?