How the hell did Wolverine make more money opening weekend than Star Trek? Have you all been taken out by Swine Flu? There is NO doubt in my mind that Star Trek will eventually build up a much more solid reputation and end up making more money in the long run. But who, how, why did Wolverine make $15 MILLION more than Star Trek in it’s opening weekend? Star Trek had and extra night for you to go an see it! I have not heard ONE bad Star Trek review and Wolverine has had mixed reviews at best.
This is madness people, MADNESS! Check out this past weekends box office numbers below to share in my confusion…
- Star Trek | New | Weekend Gross $72,500,000 | Average per Theater $18,836 | Total Gross $76,500,000 | Week 1
- X-Men Origins: Wolverine | LW 1 | Weekend Gross $27,000,000 | Average per Theater $6,582 | Total Gross $129,624,000 $150 | Week 2
- Ghosts of Girlfriends Past | LW 2 | Weekend Gross $10,450,000 | Average per Theater $3,291 | Total Gross $30,246,000 | Week 2
- Obsessed | LW 3 | Weekend Gross $6,600,000 | Average per Theater $2,537 | Total Gross $56,247,000 | Production Cost $20 | Week 3
- 17 Again | LW 4 | Weekend Gross $4,405,000 | Average per Theater $1,517 | Total Gross $54,167,000 | Week 4
- Next Day Air | New | Weekend Gross $4,000,000 | Average per Theater $3,515 | Total Gross $4,000,000 | Week 1
- The Soloist | LW 6 | Weekend Gross $3,605,000 | Average per Theater $1,725 | Total Gross $23,501,000 | Week 3
- Monsters Vs. Aliens | LW 5 | Weekend Gross $3,379,000 | Average per Theater $1,546 | Total Gross $186,892,000 $175 | Week 7
- Earth (2009) | LW 7 | Weekend Gross $2,488,000 | Average per Theater $1,387 | Total Gross $26,086,000 | Week 3
- Hannah Montana The Movie | LW 8 | Weekend Gross $2,414,000 | Average per Theater $1,049 | Total Gross $74,083,000 | Week 5
I won’t even go into why/how Obsessed is still making money. It’s beyond me.
What do you think of the numbers?