Although the Watchmen came in at the top of the chart , it didn’t create the HUGE box office splash that Snyder had probably hoped for. Now we’ll have to see how long until they’ve made back the $150 million they spent. I personally thought that the film broke new grounds, but that’s not always enough for the box office. Except in the case of Slumdog Millionaire, which in it’s 17th week on the charts you can still find roaming around the top 5 spots. Go Slumdog!
Sadly, what this list also shows is that films like Madea Goes to Jail and Paul Blart have legs, which is BAD, BAD news for the future of filmmaking. Although on the plus side the Jonas Brothers film seems to be dying a quick death, so there is some hope there.
Check out this weeks box office numbers below…
- Watchmen | New | Weekend Gross $55,655,000 | Average Per Theater $15,413 | Total Gross $55,655,000 | Production Budget $150 | Week 1
- Tyler Perry’s Madea Goes to Jail | LW 1 | Weekend Gross $8,800,000 | Average Per Theater $4,091 | Total Gross $76,505,000 | Week 3
- Taken | LW 4 | Weekend Gross $7,450,000 | Average Per Theater $2,470 | Total Gross $118,049,000 | Week 6
- Slumdog Millionaire | LW 3 | Weekend Gross $6,925,000 | Average Per Theater $2,396 | Total Gross $125,441,000 | Production Budget $15 | Week 17
- Paul Blart: Mall Cop Sony | LW 6 | Weekend Gross $4,200,000 | Average Per Theater $1,642 | Total Gross $133,643,000 | Production Budget $26 | Week 8
- He’s Just Not That Into You | LW 5 | Weekend Gross $4,020,000 | Average Per Theater $1,644 | Total Gross $84,647,000 | Week 5
- Coraline | LW 7 | Weekend Gross $3,313,000 | Average Per Theater $1,691 | Total Gross $65,680,000 | Week 5
- Confessions of a Shopaholic | LW 9 | Weekend Gross $3,121,000 | Average Per Theater $1,363 | Total Gross $38,356,000 | Week 4
- Jonas Brothers: The 3D Concert Experience | LW 2 | Weekend Gross $2,785,000 | Average Per Theater $2,183 | Total Gross $16,791,000 | Week 2
- Fired Up | LW 10 | Weekend Gross $2,600,000 | Average Per Theater $1,446 | Total Gross $13,360,000 | Production Budget $20 | Week 3