Not everyone appears to be cheering for the new Thor film set to be directed by Kenneth Branagh, but I think Josh Radde of FilmSchoolRejects has enough excitement to get us all going. He has just come up with “Five Reasons to be Excited about the Thor Movie.” Some of his reasons are rather good, although some of them I have issues with.
Here are his top 5 reasons and the problems:
1. He’s a major part of the Avengers. “Remember, Marvel is ramping up towards a huge Avengers project, so films like Iron Man 2, Captain America, and Thor are only serving to get the character introductions out of the way.”
My Thoughts: I’m not so sure this is a good reason for a film. Just because it would help another film, doesn’t make this one good. I want each character to be introduced in 1 minutes, not 120.
2. He’s not always Thor, he takes breaks for some character interaction.
My Thoughts: Alright, I’m with you on this one. But don’t all of them do this? It’s not really anything that makes him stand out from the rest.
3. Thor is a godly character. Godly characters = Kick ass fight scenes.
My Thoughts: This is true. Gods make a good fight if directed well. So this all depends on Branagh. Although don’t demons make the best fight scenes? Godly creatures have rules and souls.
4. Bigger villains. “Jeff Bridges wasn’t a very satisfying villain (Tim Roth as the Abomination in The Incredible Hulk wasn’t really that great, either.”
My Thoughts: I disagree completely! The villains in these films were some of the best parts. Maybe the scripts could have bulked them up a bit more. But come on… Look at the recent villains we’ve had… Tim Roth, Jeff Bridges, Heath Ledger, Willem Dafoe, even Cate Blanchett. I think we’ve had some pretty good baddies as of late, even when the films weren’t that good.
5. “He may not be so super after all. The story is about a man who spends 18 months institutionalized thinking he has godly powers and has been sent to Earth to save humans.”
My Thoughts: OK, now you got me. Is he man, god, or crazy man-god? Love the mix! There’s nothing better than a possibly crazy hero. A man who might be out of his mind, might be godly, might be a superhero, who knows, who cares. Now he’s interesting!
To read the full explanation for all 5 reasons go here, don’t forget to Digg it!