Guy Ritchie’s, Sherlock Holmes cast appeared in London to confirm all the rumors floating around about them. There to discuss the film was Robert Downey Jr. (Sherlock Holmes), Rachel McAdams, (Irene Adler), Mark Strong (Blackwood), and Kelly Reilly (just announced as Mary Morstan).
The folks at Empire were at the press conference, and here is the short hand of what was reported:
- Jude Law will be Dr. Watson.
- There will be “no bumbler, Downey Jr. emphasising his background as a military surgeon and war veteran.”
- Kelly Reilly will be Mary, Watson’s love interest.
- Blackwood (played by Mark Strong) and Irene Adler (played by Rachel McAdams) will be the villains of the film.
- The film will be be attempting a PG-13 rating, which means no more cocaine rumors for Holmes.
- The entire cast emphasized the fact that this will be a sexier, more action-packed Holmes, but still pays homage to the author Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.
- The film is set to be released in 2010
- No one confirmed or denied the possibility of another villain, although Downey did smile when asked.